Monday, April 4, 2011

Hitting the Cement Wall, AKA Writer's Block

After a mass hiatus, I've decided to actually write something. For the lack of angry posts: I apologize.
It's not that I am lacking angst. I have angst to spare. It tends to ricochet off of me and cause damage to my surroundings. However- I do have writer's block.
I've attempted to write on several topics, but they either turned out to be un-interesting or they did not turn out at all.
Writer's block is aggravating. It's a nice cement wall that all ideas and words are either blocked in by or smacked into. The few that managed to climb over are beaten, sickly, and need time to recover.
I've read several articles on how to beat writers block. Some of the ideas work for me, others do not. But in order to be helpful, I'll list some that I recommend to my fellow writers.
  1. Listen to a song to find inspiration. - This works for me....rarely. Most of the time I can't flip through songs to find inspiration. I have to get it stuck annoyingly into my brain for half the day until I put it on paper in order to remove it from my brain.
  2. Read/watch the news. - If you like to write about current events, you probably already do this. If not, you shouldn't be writing about current events.
  3. Read in general. - Seriously. Some of my best idea's bounce off of something that someone else wrote. Call it idea stealing if you will...but it works.
  4. Talk to someone else about your half-formed idea. - If you've got an idea started but you don't know where to go with it, tell someone about it. They'll probably have an opinion, and whether you use it or not, that'll probably bring up more opinions of your own.
  5. Make a list of potential ideas. - I do this all the time. In fact, that's how this blog started. My list went like this: (warning - I might use these topics later....if I feel like it)
  • inspiring people
  • neopets (seriously.)
  • teen depression and why the hell it's so common nowadays
  • being lazy
  • my lack of a car and why buses in omaha suck
  • a wish for summer
  • why I can't have video games in my dorm
  • writer's block (*winner!*)
Since I am a lazy bum, and because it's you who actually reads this crap, I'm gonna ask for your help with my writers block. Give me a topic. I don't care whether it's something useful like "tips on how to beat procrastination" or something as random as "why ninja's are ultimately better than pirates". The best topic presented will be the next thing I write about. So come up with something fun/interesting/random/angry. I'll take it and rant. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment